CKEditor includes an image button so that images can be added to articles. However, to add an image, a user must type in the URL to the image. There is no browse facility.
But, CKEditor does allow third-party plugins to hook into the image properties window and show a browse button.
Having looked around, I found the following:
- CKFinder, but this is purchasable
- KCFinder, free; requires Apache and PHP
- Simple Image Browser, Listed on the CK Editor website, but links don't work, so suspect that this is no longer maintained
- Responsive File Manager, free; requires Apache and PHP.
- Roxyman Fileman, free; runs on Apache and IIS
Cross-Origin Object Error
In a scenario where CKEditor was hosted in a different domain from the image browsing plug-in I encountered the following error:
Permission denied to access property "CKEDITOR" on cross-origin object
I have yet to resolve the issue in this scenario.